Friday, December 31, 2010

Solar power and sex: can the two ever get along?

A couple of posts ago, I might have mentioned how much I like my job. Nothing has changed since then, I still enjoy the work I do. But being in the neighborhood of the construction industry, I get to run up against an array of different ego's and personalities, some only slightly more annoying than the one before. Oh there are a few friendly faces as we plod along our little solar journey, mostly other guys just doing their job. Like Pat the roofer. Nice, affable guy, good sense of humor, easy to get along with. And Al, the guy that helps us hoist the windspires. He could just show up, do his job, take his money, and go home. But he helps out a lot, above and beyond the call. These are the guys that make my job a little less stressful. And then there's the dark side of the force. Those job supervisors who feel it is there place on earth to let you know who holds the real power.

Case in point, let's take a look at "George". (I may have changed his name to protect the innocent, then again, maybe I didn't.) From day one, it was apparent that this guys shorts were on just a little too tight. If it wasn't on the plans, it wasn't going to wash with this guy. The final straw was when, at the very end of the job as we are loading 50lb. bricks into their final resting place, breaking our backs with every step, I get a call stating that we are being too loud. On the roof. It seems a meeting was taking place under our feet, and the suits couldn't concentrate with all that stomping about going on. Maybe it doesn't seem a big deal to you, but after being hen-pecked every day on this project about what we weren't doing correctly, it was like the final straw.

Now my boss is a very interesting guy. He is smart, and all business at work. Like you should be. Outside the office, he is always smiling and happy. So it was a slight shock when after I told him all of the BS that "George" was giving me on the job site, and how truly uptight he was, he remarked, "Can you imagine what sex with his wife is like?" Aside from laughing my ass off at the unexpected relaxation in the bosses usual business like demeanor, imagine I did. And it probably went something like this:

George: Ummm, honey, what are you doing?
Wife: I, uh, wait a sec. What do you mean?
George: I mean, what are you doing on your knees?
Wife: I'm getting ready for sex, like we planned.
George: But that's NOT how we planned it. That is not the agreed upon position.
Wife: Well, I guess I was just trying to be spontaneous. The old position is so, well, old.
George: But that's not what it says here on the proposal.
Wife: Does it always have to be the way of the proposal? Can't we just...
she trails off, her hand sliding into his PJ bottoms.
George: Stop that! What do you think you're doing? Now you're getting me all confused.
Wife: Well I'm not trying to confuse you, I'm just trying to...
hand sliding further.
George: I said STOP! I'm not prepared for that.
Wife: Well what if I just gave it a little, you know, stimulation?
George: Stimulation? I 'm not sure. I mean... I, I...I've got to make a couple of phone calls,
he replies, getting out of bed and heading downstairs.
Wife: Where are you going George? Honey? And with that, she reaches into the night stand, the eventual soft buzzing of the power tool giving way to the pleading sobs of her husband on the phone in the kitchen.
George: ...yes, on her KNEES. I don't know if I have clearance for that. Besides, I could see her, well, you know. The hole that the poop comes out? I could SEE it.

Well maybe it didn't go exactly like that. But I am willing to bet somewhere up in the cold reaches of Wisconsin, a housewife is slightly less than satisfied. And a husband is furiously working on a re-draft.

No comments:

Post a Comment