Sunday, December 12, 2010

Do as I say, not as I do.

Ooohhh! The Guitarman is mad. Mad I tell you!! It's 7:37 and my paper is still not here yet. Sure its a blizzard outside, and yes the roads may be a tad bit yucky, but still. It's this guys job, he needs to be on time. You see, I am always on time when it comes to my job. Only, substitute the word occasionally for the word always, and you have a truthful sentence. You see, what I am actually saying is, I guess I am admitting to be somewhat of a hypocrite on this topic. Which segue's nicely into the moral of the day kiddies: do as I say, not as I do.

Case in point, the Chicago Mayoral race. Poppycock you say! Politicians are honest, hard working, upstanding, truthful, AACK! Sorry bout that, just choked on my coffee. But seriously folks, lets take a look at the Rev. James Meeks and his week. Outspoken homophobe that he is, it was no surprise when, as a state senator, he voted NO on the soon to be signed bill that allows civil unions in Illinois. His prerogative to do whatever he feels is right, no matter how wrong the rest of us feel it is. But then, with cohones the size of a beach ball, he strolls into Anne Sathers (owned by gay alderman Tom Tunney) for a tete-a-tete with some of Chicago's gay community. To reach out to them. To feel their pain. To pander for their vote. Here's a little hint for the Rev: go play on the highway. Really, how stupid does he think the unwashed masses are? Well, stupid enough to elect him to the state senate I guess, and stupid enough to elect him Mayor, he hopes. But there you have it, a true hypocrite at his shining best. You see, do as I say, not as I do.

Another story this week, this one a little sad, revolves around a set of parents that have witnessed tragedy. The watched their son, pitching in a game for his little league team, get beaned in the head from a line drive off of one of those big barrel aluminum bats. Poor little tyke lost his hearing in one ear. But the parents reaction, as might have been mine or yours, was to sue bat maker Easton for putting a dangerous product on the market. Apparently, the kid who hit the line drive was as big as the kids dad. So don't you think it makes more sense to try and separate players by size, a la pee wee football, rather than age? And maybe, it's not the bat makers fault? And maybe, the big kid would have delivered a similar smash if he was using a wooden bat instead due to his genetically matured body? And what the hell does this have to do with today's moral you dare say? Seems our little guy, when he goes up to bat, after the tragedy took place, uses one of those same big barrel aluminum bats. Do as I say, not as I do.

I got that line from an old job. The boss would constantly be on us for one thing or another, and then turn around and do the exact opposite of what he just said. We would all look at each other on the desk and go, really? Lead by example? Lets hope that Meeks and the parents of the boy hear those three little word some day. But I guess it's a lot easier preach and sue, than it is to reach and do. After all, actions speak louder than words.

No comments:

Post a Comment