Sunday, April 18, 2010

Proud of what you did yesterday?

What did you do yesterday? Was it productive? Was it therapeutic or relaxing? Was it self-serving? Or maybe it was serving someone else. I am not advocating some moralistic duty of humanity. If that serves you well, go for it. My day consisted of cleaning the garage (productive), taking a small nap (therapeutic), and practicing for and playing a gig (self-serving). (Side note: cleaning the garage is not an actual task, as my garage is in the perpetual cleaning cycle. Meaning, I have so much crap crammed into every nook and cranny, that cleaning more or less consists of moving said crap from one spot to another. If I can ever manage to clear enough space to actually get CARS in the garage, then maybe I have accomplished something.) One thing I did not do, however, was to maliciously and cowardly find and murder innocent civilians from my own country in the name of religion.

If you are tired of hearing me say this, then by all means, close the page, go back to facebook, and pretend I never said it. But low and behold, and coming to a theater near you, two piece of shit cowards in the name of Islam, dressed up in head to toe burqa's, and blew themselves up in a line of civilians along the Afghan/Paki border. Innocent people who were in an aid line because they had fled a Taliban offensive, only to find that the offensive had indeed followed them to their place of refuge. Why do I get so upset at something that is occurring on the other side of the world, so far removed from my life? Something that I will never have any control over whatsoever?

Because I still say it is only a matter of time before this hits closer to home, and a couple of burqa clad maniacs blow themselves up at the Super Bowl. They are still out there, and they will never go away. They are not a country we can put sanctions on (how's that working in Iran U.N?). They are not an identifiable person we can bring to justice (how long have the Gitmo detainees been there?). They are like the terminator. Says Kyle Reese, "It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead!" Only we are not dealing in science fiction, but a painful reality. The Taliban and Al-Qaeda are out there, and like it or not, we are Sarah Connor. So for all you folks out there who want us to take the foot off of the military gas pedal, and insist upon bowing to ridiculous sensitivities toward a kinder, gentler US of A, I have one suggestion. Go watch The Terminator. Maybe then you will get a glimpse of the mind set we are facing.

No comments:

Post a Comment