Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The reality of hope.

Tonight as President Obama makes probably the most important speech of his career since becoming the leader of the free world, The Guitarman would like to weigh in on the subject. Dangerous waters I know, and I will try and keep it short and sweet, but I will borrow a word from the presidential playbook. Hope.

As in I hope he realizes that this isn't a speech, but a movement. A cause. A defining moment in our history and his legacy. I hope he stops the campaign talk and all the feel good moments that have delivered him to this point and give us some nuts and bolts. Like where he stands, hopefully on one side of the fence or the other. I hope he will he tell us how he is going to pay for it. Or rather who is going to pay for it. I hope he will ignore the lunatic fringe ("He is going to kill my Nana!") and focus on what matters. And I hope he does away with the the whole shirtsleeves rolled up sans tie look that for sure got him a few votes in the election. He has already won over all of those who would be swayed.

But my biggest hope is that he follows in George Bush's example. Huh?! Didn't see that coming did you? Criticize W all you want but don't fault him for taking an unpopular stand to do what he thought was right at the time. He made a decision in the best interest of our country, and all I am asking is that Obama do the same. Please make the decision on what you believe is the right way to handle this health care reform thingy, rather than with an eye to 2012.

I'll even give you my stance. I am for the public option, without forcing those who can afford the private option to do the same. And I am for forcing the private insurance companies and drug companies like Pfizer ($44.5 billion in profit last year, yes that is a "b" for billion) to stop being 100% profit driven and share the wealth so that this country can get healthy again. There, I have given you my stance. I can only hope that the big O can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment