Monday, February 4, 2013

Lessons from the Super Bowl

Now that was a Super Bowl! One team way out in front, other one comes storming back, game still on the line with under 2 minutes to play, scantily clad women for the
halftime show, (albeit there were no wardrobe malfunctions), had a team to actually root for as I hate all things Harbaugh (actually not all things, hate Jim, like John), was just a little better than a scratch on the pool (paid $50 to win $60, Vegas here I come baby!), and had so much food I think I won't have to eat until Super Bowl XLVIII. But just as in life, there were many lessons to be learned from watching. And, so it goes, I bring you a Superbowl themed 5 in 5.

Beyonce: Have to start with the blow out extravaganza that was the halftime show. Now I know there are certain things one looks for when assessing a good halftime show. 1. The music. She is at the top of her profession with a fabulous voice, and though I am not into her genre, I have to admit she did not let down there. Even thought I didn't recognize 2 seconds of anything she sang last night, and was pining for Tom Petty to sneak out and drop it down a notch, all the while wondering who this Destiny was and what her child had to do with anything, I couldn't stop watching. 2. The Performance. The routines were not only superb, but the timing was unbelievable. They must've rehearsed that more times than days in a year. 3. The bombast. I'd give it a solid 9. Only comparing what we witnessed to say, oh the opening ceremonies at the Olympics, was it lacking at all. No I think she nailed it, and even though I kept trying to bring up the lip-syncing angle, I was shot down to a man. Give me some good old classic rock, and I'm happy. But at least it wasn't a disaster like the Black Eyed Peas 2 years ago. Lesson: Big is better, less is more. As in spectacle and clothing, respectively.

Harbaughs: Never knew much about John Harbaugh before this game. NFC Bears don't play the Ravens often enough, so I can only read what I read. Came away with the impression he is a calm, smart, disciplined leader. Don't know who molded him, but it seemed to work. Jim, on the other hand, is the yang to John's yin. Granted, during his playing days, he had to deal with a fiery Mike Ditka at one point, but if Ditka was a yeller, then John is a wailing banshee. Saw a few 49's games this year, and I don't think I can remember a game when the spit wasn't spraying, the headphones weren't spinning off towards the 45 yard line, and he wasn't jumping up and down like a spoiled baby. There is fire, and then there is fire. A friend asked me if I preferred Lovie Smith's deadpan demeanor. Well, isn't there something in between a dead rock and an M-80? Um, yea there is. In Baltimore. Lesson: Act like you've been there before.

Commercials: There could be a whole 5 in 5 within the 5 in 5 here, but I will condense so you don't close the page. Always looked forward to the commercials, but this year...hmmmm. Wasn't it a bit of a dud? I mean, a few okay ones, but nothing magnifico. I always love the eTrade baby. He gets me every time. The Dorito crazed goat. Kinda cute. The gross Go Daddy spot was funny. Once. There seems to be no end of hot chics who love M & M's. Baby's really do come from outer space? I thought so, that would explain a few things. Like I said, a few chuckles, but mostly just "...eh." I was waiting for that iconic spot, where you would either laugh your brains out, or, well, laugh your brains out. They did succeed in one area though. You never knew what any of them were for until the last few seconds. Lesson: 4 million dollars is chump change to waaaay too many people.

The Game: There have been some clunkers over the years, but Super Bowl XLVII was a great game that had it all. And it also proved a lot of things. Like the hype can't actually overshadow what happens on the field. That you don't need a superstar quarterback to win the big one (yea, Flacco and Kapernik may make headlines for years, but when the year started, it was all Manning this and Rodgers that, blah, blah, blah). That 2 brothers can grow up to do do the exact same thing and reach the pinnacle of their profession and still be 2 completely different people. That a man who is widely considered to be the best at his position in the history of the game is still overshadowed by a personal transgression in the defining moment of his career. That the same man with means and a name can buy the silence of another in exchange for his freedom. Lesson: On any given Sunday, any team, and anyone, can win.

Amusement: So I had a few friends over for the game. Yea, wanted to really show off the 50" plasma and surround sound (the sound of that nerd kissing the model will echo in my head forever). Had out a big spread, a few cold ones, some wine, the works. Biggest TV day of the year, biggest sporting event of the year, most expensive commercials of the year, and what was everyone watching in my house? The cats. They were hovering around the console all night, sniffing all around, darting in and out, tails wagging...then it hit me. There was a mouse under the TV. At half time the little bugger peaked his head out, saw the fur and claws, and scurried back under. But there was no denying the cats. Soon enough, Bella came out with the little guy in her mouth, someone yelled "We got some action!", and as one dude, yes guy, jumped up on his chair, we all took in the spectacle of nature sorting itself out. Only it was in my living room. I tossed the poor bugger into the snowy February tundra beyond my back yard. It was, by far, the highlight of the evening. I didn't have to drop a bunch of money on food, and clean up and cook for a day. Next time I'll toss a couple of chipmunks into the living room and charge admission. Lesson: People are easily amused. Despite the $4,000,000 commercials.

No comments:

Post a Comment