Thursday, June 14, 2012

Walsh vs. Walsh

I made a joke a while back, at least I think it was a joke in at least it made me chuckle like a giddy school girl, that guitarist Joe Walsh, he of the gravelly voice and
creeping guitar notes, was running for Representative in our great state of Illinois. If you ain't from these parts and don't know, U.S. Rep. Joe Walsh, that darling of the Tea Party wing of the Tea Party, is what we are stuck with. For now.

He's like a homophobic energizer bunny. I could bore you with my reasons for personally wanting to see his ouster, but it turns out the Real Joe Walsh just came out in support of Tammy Duckworth, opponent for the Fake Joe Walsh. Yep, that "Maserati" singing, guitar slinging, one time Eagle, is giving us his opinion. Now I like Ms. Duckworth, she has my vote anyway, and I know it would be a vast improvement over someone who caters to such a small choice of like minded narrow individuals, but can I really take Real Joe Walsh seriously?

Hey, I love his music. We do one of his tunes. He has a cool unique style that hasn't really been duplicated. But let's be honest. Does anyone else feel like he has probably seen his share of hallucinogens, beer bongs, bong hits, any any other combination of rock star vices you can throw at him? To me, he is kinda like Otis from the Andy Griffith show. You remember, the drunk that would let himself in and out of his own cell, walking around in a constant state of inebriation? Actually, he reminds me of a genetic mutation of Otis and Tommy Chong. But I have no actual proof per se, that would leave me to believe that the iconic rocker is anything but a stand up citizen. It's just a hunch. I think maybe I have seen a video of him a tad wasted out of his freaking gourd over served. But still. Why does the candidate, or the party, or the campaign feel the need to trot out celebrities in support of their cause?

It's actually sad that the common perception is that some housewife out there is going to vote for their guy because Alec Baldwin told them to, and that's good enough to get your vote. It ain't as hell gonna get mine. Jimi Hendrix could rise from the grave playing the solo to Voodoo Chile and tell me to vote for Joe Walsh and I still wouldn't do it. If Megan Fox walked out of a pool wearing nothing but a handkerchief and told me to vote him for I would laugh. And then go take a cold shower. I get it, it lends the cool factor to a candidates campaign, but the serious voter out their isn't going to be swayed by the circus show. And the campaigns aren't aiming at that vote anyway. If the candidate had any credentials in the first place, they would already have that vote.

Sing it with me now, "Out all night, sleep all day, I know what you're doin'. If you're gonna act that way, I think there's trouble brewin'". Recognize the tune? Hint: one of the Joe Walsh's wrote it. If the voters truly are gonna act that way, then there truly is trouble a-brewin'. Is it too much to ask to get involved? So that smart, honest, decent minded people start making our choices for us? We can do a lot better than bigoted, loudmouthed, homophobes like Joe Walsh. Yea I said it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment