Saturday, November 19, 2011

What else can I say?

Great news everyone! The recession is still over! Jerry Sandusky is innocent! The election is coming soon! Alien dopplegangers have finally returned the Bears to Earth! My house will be invaded by 20+ friends and relatives in 5 short days! Yes, it's back already, 5 topics in 5 minutes. Strap on everyone! (Or is that strap in?)

Recession
So have I got this straight? The unemployment rate in Illinois: it only "inched up" to 10.1% from 10% for October. So by only "inching up" vs. "skyrocketing up" it is actually good news in the sense that instead of everyone jumping over a cliff at the same time only a few of us choose to make the leap, with the rest of us 99%ers waiting in line to do so. The housing market in Illinois: October of 2011 compared to October 2010; closed home sales of 237 down 13.5%, home listings going under contract 267 down 2.9%. The median sale price of $103,000 down 6.36%. Goin' down. Down, down, down, down, down. Great, our economy is a Jeff Beck song. Can't wait until we get back to the good old days of inflation. Where the hell is Nixon anyway?

Jerry Sandusky
We can all relax a little now. Unlock the front door again, and return the mountain lion to the zoo that was keeping watch over your kids bedroom door at night. Jerry Sandusky says he is innocent. Saying that his naked showers with 10 year old boys in a school locker room were a lapse in judgement and innocent fun, not unlike the way a gang-banger goes out and shoots up a playground with the same excuse, we should take him at his word right? Either this guys is seriously ill, or he is smart as a whip. We are either dumb enough to believe his clap-trap, or he is setting up his insanity defense. "But your honor, he is so sick, he actually believes the shit coming out of his mouth." Can't wait until he is sharing a cell with that guy that was masturbating in class while giving lectures.

Obama for President
Said it before. I'll say it again. Presidents should not be allowed to run for re-election. How can you believe anything a sitting president says or does when he knows that his political life is hanging by a thread? The Hispanic vote helped propel him to victory in 2008. And just in time for election 2012, we get fact vs. fiction. Fiction: his administration announces new rules governing the deportation of illegal aliens, aiming to speed the deportation of convicted criminals and halt those of many illegal immigrants without criminal records. Fact: despite campaigning to the exact opposite, last year the U.S. had the highest deportation numbers on record: nearly 400,000. Since President Obama took office, more than a million illegal immigrants have been deported. Umm, excuse me Mr. President, but just how think do you dumb I am?

Real Illegal Aliens
A few short months ago, the Chicago Bears tore out of the gate with a rousing destruction of last years NFC best record Atlanta Falcons, then fell off the truck with lackluster play, and oh yea, record setting futility as Jay Cutler got a real taste of the Soldier Field grass. Then a funny thing happened, they were good again. And it feels like big things lie ahead. So what happened? Alien dopplegangers working on behalf of the Green Bay (what is that taste in my mouth?) Packers kidnapped the team and replaced them. Doppelgangers: monstrous humanoids, identified primarily by their ability to change their shape and appearance to mimic almost any humanoid creature. At least that's what I remember from my wasted years of endless late night sessions of Dungeons and Dragons. I mean, there is no other logical explanation.

Thanksgiving
I have to say, at age 48, holidays are not so lustrous as they were when we were kids. I mean, I found out recently that there is no Santa Claus. Which prompted the whole "Well what about the Easter Bunny?" discussion with the wife. And don't even mention the tooth fairy to me, I can't even go there. But there is one holiday I still really look forward to, Thanksgiving. No, I do not show up at some relatives house and devour everything in site for 3 hours, they come to me. And I cook. And cook. And cook some more. And I love it. I love arranging dinner for 20 or more. I start when I get off work on Wednesday, and don't stop until I sit down (stand in a corner) to eat. Yes I know I get some help (like the sister-in-law walking in a few years ago saying something like "What can I do to help?" and my reply going something like "Well you can peel those potato's for me" and her response going something like "Ha!" ...true story), but in the end, I feel great satisfaction knowing that I leave everyone with the greatest meal of the year in their bellies. Now I'm sure the wife will have a few things to add along the lines of "Worst holiday of the year" as she cleans for a week before and days after with little help from her chef husband and lazy brooding teens #1 and #2, but I still love it none-the-less.

No comments:

Post a Comment