Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bring it on.

Holy perpetual procrastination! Has it really been 6 weeks since I posted last? I've been busy, sure, but there is no excuse for laziness! Well, I did finish my book, start a new job, and travel around the world in a 10 foot dingy named "Dinsdale". Actually only two are true, but I did find time to butt heads with brooding teenager number two. And that's why dear reader(s) I am back to the keypad.

True blood. Ever seen it? It's an HBO series that's about vampires, and it's full of violence, sexual innuendo, and nudity. Oh, and blood. No blood, no vampires. And here's the rub: it's rated TV MA. To be honest, I never let a little thing like ratings determine whether or not I let my kids see a TV show or a movie. So I did what I had to do, I watched an episode.

Now brooding teenager number one is a month shy of 17 and is at the point that A) he can pretty much watch anything and B) there's not a damn thing I can do about it if I disagree with point A. But the young lass is only 14, and after watching a scene where a female vampire was having sex, but had to stop because it hurt due to the fact that everything heals on a vampire which I guess includes the hymen, followed by a scene where two lovers, after eating a pie made from a human heart, beat the living crap out of each other while spewing vile language, then had sex, which was interspersed with nudity, more violence and lots and lots of blood, we drew a line. The wife and I decided that we would say no, and that would be that.

She didn't go quietly. She stomped, she threatened, she sulked, and she scowled. I remembered at that point that parenting isn't about being friends with your kid. When you know that, then nothing else matters. Sure, you want them to know you love them, but pissing them off for their own good is a good thing now and then. And the tantrums? The brooding? The evil stares? I say, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment