Thursday, March 25, 2010

A cell phone, a taco, and the tale of 2 Chicago cops.

The Guitarman knows, unequivocally, that he is prone to ramble. I'm like a little stone at the top of a hill. Get me going, and nothing can stop me. Except of course the bottom of the hill. Which might tend to hurt if I get going to fast. So today, lets try small doses of a new feature I like to call: Things that piss me off. And I promise I will not talk about cheesehead drivers. (Oops, I just did, tee-hee) And as usual, I get my morning fuel from the Chicago Suntimes. (Which brings me to a side note: that 80% of people get their news from an online source, thus leaving me feel a bit dinosaur-ish)

Hit on head by armrest while using cell phone in in theater, woman sues. Some headlines are so descriptive, there is no point in actually writing the ensuing article. First of all, stupid bitch got what she deserved. How is it that some people feel they are entitled to do whatever they want no matter what it does to other people? She says she was hunched forward to "discreetly" hold her conversation. Wow, where to even start with this one. That big blaring sign on the screen that says TURN OFF CELL PHONES wasn't clue enough? She was probably talking to someone and didn't see it. And I'm positive that seat positioning has a lot to do with the volume of your voice, hunching forward probably toned it down at least a decibel or two. That's when the armrest hit her on the head so hard she had to go to the hospital with a concussion. And here's the best part. It was in 2008. It took her two years to decide she had suffered grievously enough to be awarded monetary compensation from the heinous act of the movie theater seat. Either that or she just awoke from the coma she was in. Here's a tip Ms. Taj Showers. When you go to a movie, SHUT THE F*&K UP AND WATCH THE DAMN MOVIE!


Rep ripped for Latinos, tacos remark. Now here is a headline with the opposite effect. I saw that the rep in question is Monique Davis, previously ripped on this page for the whole statue in her office thing. I was ready to cast her into a fiery pit for continuing to be a menace to the people she is supposed to serve. But guess what? I'm on her side. Responding to a bill to license hair braiders, here is part of her offending remark: "...you do not license a Chinese person to sell Chinese food. You do not license a Latino to sell tacos..." Had she substituted "Mexican food" for "tacos", I would be talking about something else in this space. But did I miss something? Aren't taco's Mexican food, most probably being made and sold by someone of Latin descent? The two Hispanic alderman on the floor immediately were "appalled" that someone was making fun of their ethnicity. So while Ms. Davis was guilty of generalizing, it's a bit of a stretch to think she was being racist in her remarks. More than likely the two offended alderman were feeling a bit left out that morning and noticed the chance to grandstand a little bit. We are becoming a nation obsessed in avoiding hurting someones feelings, lest they sue you for it.

And lastly, Pair allege cop abuse. Ok no need to tell anyone that Chicago cops have been hurled through the press on abuse charges lately, be it female bartender beating Anthony Abbate, or forced confession super hero John Burge, both of which are soon to see some jail time. But the old phrase "Serve and protect" begs the question here, serve and protect who? Two ordinary guys coming out of a taco joint, excuse me, Mexican food joint, were severely beaten by two plainclothes cops at 3am for the crime of being "nerds". Chances are, lots of alcohol was involved, but these poor guys not only had their noses broken and were left unconscious, but the responding uniformed officers were less than accommodating. They didn't file a report, they didn't call these guys an ambulance, and in fact told them to "go home and forget the incident ever happened." These guys did go home, but called 911 instead of letting it go. The 911 dispatcher actually dismissed the allegation and they had to drive themselves to the hospital. Wow again. The city that works right? I think I will be buying my tacos, EXCUSE ME, Mexican food in Gurnee from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment