Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The magic of the open mic night.

Ahh the open mic night. They can be fun. They can be magical on occasion. They can be loose and free, or they can be strict and controlled. Sometimes the overwhelming level of talent can be amazing. And sometimes not.


So I decided, being unemployed and not having to worry about getting up the next morning (except for the fact that I had to drive the 13 year old to school because she still doesn't realize that blow drying and straightening her hair is less important than setting her alarm herself and actually MAKING the bus), that I would have a little jam night out. Used to be, the old Donelli's Tuesday night open mike could turn into a musicians warehouse. Great drummers, guitarists, singers, and the like would turn out in droves for Tommy G, and you couldn't script that shit. A couple of nights it would be one drummer, him and me and maybe one other guy. Can't get off the "stage". But he always kept it loose and fun, knowing everyone by name, creating instant chemistry between sometimes complete strangers. And then there was last night.


Not that I am bemoaning anyone's heart and or ability, but in the end, a good set of earplugs would only have set me back a few bucks. I am sure in my turn up there I started to get annoying to a few of the patrons as well. Loud guitar, over the top solos. But there always seem to be the same people week in and week out who have made this their personal stage. The older couple singing duets to songs that NOBODY has ever heard of. The bass player who suffers from TMN syndrome. (too many notes) The drummer who really can't keep a beat. The singer who does the same 3 or 4 songs nearly every time. The guitar player who makes Neil Young's guitar solo's seem dynamic. The guitar player who doesn't know when to stop. The "white guy singing the monotone blues". The harp player that plays about 3 notes. And of course, the blues song with no foreseeable end in sight. Ever heard the 14 minute version of Mustang Sally? Or Watchtower with 3 guitar players each taking a turn after every stinking verse?


Now being in a band I get to do my thing on some kind of regular basis. I know, this is their night to stretch out a little and have some fun. But I never leave without having cringed at least 4 or 5 times a night. Maybe I should just stay at home and leave them in peace. But I really miss Donelli's.

No comments:

Post a Comment